Friday, May 2, 2008

Is nothing safe anymore?

First we had the lead scare from China...I mean seriously, who still uses lead paint anymore?? Now after hearing too much about BPA (Bisphenol A) and trying to stay ignorant (thus the 'LIL' crunchy) I decided to investigate this BPA thing. So for a few months now I've been hearing about the dangers of BPA in baby bottles. I felt I had no need to worry since my children don't use bottles, but now I'm hearing it's in plastics in general--so their sippy cups are cause for concern too. *sigh* Canada has put in motion a ban of all products containing BPA from their plastics and Wal-Mart and Babies R Us are beginning to phase out any infant feeding system with BPA...so obviously it's concern enough for me to research and take a look in my own cabinet, right?

So what is Bisphenol-A or BPA?

BPA is a chemical used primarily in the production of polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins, including drinking bottles, impact-resistant equipment and some dental sealants.

The concern: BPA can migrate into food from containers or tableware with internal epoxy resin coatings and from consumer products such as polycarbonate tableware, food containers, water bottles and baby bottles. The National Toxicology Program's draft report indicates that, based on studies involving rats, BPA is linked to behavior and brain-function changes, early-onset puberty in females and possible precancerous changes.

What to look for: Containers with BPA usually have the number 7 printed on the bottom; some baby bottles are made BPA-free.



Apparently when this chemical is heated it is released 55 times faster than normal...so warming bottles/sippys, boiling your bottles, or even washing them in the dishwasher releases this chemical. UGH! How is it chemicals like this are allowed or even declared 'tolerable' for human consumption. Even the American Chemistry Council has asked the FDA to look into this.

So I pulled out every sippy cup we own and went to every manufacturer's website. Some manufacturers were voluntarily removing their products, others were on the defensive about how they have been within the guidelines and how the research proves the amounts released are considered safe and even others (Gerber) I couldn't find a single stance on the subject...

We ended up throwing away 5 cups. A few Nuby's and some Gerber cups. And to be on the safe side, and decided no more warming up food in the microwave with plastic!

Here is guide of brands to go by:



Although a lot of the above manufacturers are just now starting to phase out BPA, so this sheet is for what you may have in your cabinets now.

You may declare me radical...but being a female who 'bloomed' at a VERY VERY young age, I want to do all I can to preserve my children's bodies. I question every single thing I expose them too right down to their vaccines...after all, isn't that my job as a parent? I'm starting to wonder if my dear friend Janell was right...maybe the government is trying to kill us. ;o) (Love you girl!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...since you obviously have more time on your hands then most (or maybe it is just cause you care more then I do)...what about tupperware? that is about the only plastic thing I have in my life right now. could you do some research please and get back to me? thanks so much!

Linda said...

Ok...so I did a little research. Here is the info for Tupperware...

Products Containing BPA

Cups: Ice Prisms Tumbler.
Utensils: None.
Tableware: Ice Prisms Bowls.
Other: Heat N Serve, Rock N Serve, Ice Prisms Pitcher, Microsteamer, Microwave Cooker - Oval, Microwave Luncheon Plate, Quick Chef Base, Sheerly Elegant Line, Tumbler Bouquet and Pitcher Set

The best site to do research on is:

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/

Love ya!

Adams Family said...

I LOVE you...what would I do without you and your passion for keeping our children safe and healthy. I have been hearing brief bits of information about BPA but didn't know near what I needed to. We just cleaned our cabinets and I am scared to say that we threw away much more than 5pieces.

We miss you guys...especially the daily encouragement and sharing. I am thrilled you have a blog and we can share our stories about the kiddos here.

Love you..D and Ty

Jen Graham said...

I read that Nalgene is pulling their BPA prducts.... I stopped heating plastic things in the microwave a long time ago...

Ruben said...

YAY - welcome to the blogspace world! Glad you joined.

What great information for new parents, Gee!!

You know that I'm gonna go look at all my plasticware now to make sure I'm not ingesting this crap!

Love ya!!!